Is Porridge the new risotto? Is it suddenly healthy have dessert for breakfast? And how can you take your favourite warm morning meal to the next level? In 2016, we still have plenty of options to explore when it comes to Porridge. Let’s get cookin’!
1. Interpreting Classics: Well-known and beloved foods are transferred to the pot and receive a make-over you can spoon. The Verival Poppy Seed and Plum Porridge, for instance, is inspired by the Austrian winter classic “Germknödel”, a soft dumpling that comes with a plum filling, lots of poppy seeds and vanilla sauce. Whether it’s Apple Pie, Carrot Cake or Banana Bread Porridge– you can enjoy all of those sweet comfort foods out of a bowl first thing in the morning without any bad conscience at all.
2. Water is overrated: Cooking Porridge with just water, milk or plant drinks is so last year. In 2016, Porridge-Fans get creative and use Chai or Matcha Tea to sweeten or even coffee to spruce up their breakfast and get some extra caffeine in at the same time. Some might even try a veggie broth to induce a hearty Porridge flavour.
3. Savoury is the new sweet: Keep the oats but swap out fruit for some steamed or stir-fried veggies, season with fresh herbs and exotic spices and – if you like – top with egg or even crispy bacon.
4. A touch of Asia: Inspired by traditional Asian cuisine (congee) Porridge is now being prepared with veggies, mushrooms, meat, smoked fish, miso, soy or fish sauce and served not only for breakfast, but for lunch and dinner, too.
5. The new Risotto: Last year millet was featured prominently as a risotto substitute in restaurants all over the States. But now Porridge is making its way into their menus, too, since it’s much easier to prepare and ready in just a short amount of time.
6. Change it up with Heritage and Pseudo Grains: Sure, oats are great, but how about going with barley, wheat, glutenfree varieties such as amaranth, buckwheat, millet, quinoa, black rice or even polenta as your base for a change? After all, variety is the spice of life!
7. Sweet & Savoury all in one: Sweet’n sour, spicy and fruity chutneys are essential elements in the Indian cuisine but they can just as easily be used for making Porridge taste even better. Whether it’s mango and chili, pumpkin and ginger, pear and thyme or tomato – opposites attract, even more so in your morning muesli bowl!
8. Go Superfood with your Toppings: In 2016, it’s all about the right topping. Apart from fruits, nuts and Crunchy Muesli try out all kinds of seeds and kernels. Chia, flax, pumpkin and sunflower seeds make for a nutritious and delicious addition to your power breakfast. You can get them combined in our Verival Good Morning Organic Seed Mix. If you like it even sweeter grab your favourite cookies and crumble them up as a delicious add-on. Going savoury? Try pine nuts, cubed bacon and leek.
9. Turn up the heat with Acai: Everyone is talking about the little, yet powerful Acai berry which is celebrated for it’s anti-aging and weight-loss properties. The Superfood is highly popular as an ingredient in a summery Smoothie Bowl. For those who prefer to eat something a tad warmer, however, go ahead and mix Acai juice or powder in your Porridge. The colour alone is worth trying!
10. Bake it: Who needs a pancake or waffle dough mix if you have your favourite Porridge at the ready? Just combine with milk and egg and pour the mix into the pan or waffle iron. You could even go so far as to bake your Porridge and enjoy it pure straight out of the oven or as a crumble-topping for fruit afterwards.